Thursday, January 9, 2014

For My Friend

I have lots of friends currently gestating.  I've been trying to make baby quilts in order for these impending bundles of joy.  Here is my most recent baby quilt. (And my first finish for 2014 by the way!)

Miranda is my sewing friend here in South Dakota.  She is due in a month or so with a baby boy.  

I recently went up to a new quilt shop in Hill City, and while I was there I picked out fabrics for a boy quilt.  I am happy it turned out orange instead of the normal blue.  The block centers have a pirate scene or fish...and I love the simplicity of it.  I hope her new little boy will drag it around and enjoy it. 

I usually try to keep myself from sounding like a nut job on this blog (but I don't bother on my other blog), but whenever I make a baby quilt, as I stitch and press.... I think and wonder about the life the quilt may or may-not have with the new baby it's intended for.  I wonder if it will be used in a fort, cuddled up with during movies, sat on during a fireworks display, barfed on, or maybe double as a super hero cape from time to time.... my hopes for each quilt that its used.  
 Recently I saw a photo of a quilt recipient riding with the quilt I made her in a wagon.  It warmed my heart. 


 My new niece had photos taken in the summer sun with the quilt I made for her.

I love that!



2 comments:

  1. Such a fun quilt! I love simple ones. And I know what you mean about wondering how it will be used. I know from experience with my kids blankets that some they get attached to and some end up not being used much. There doesn't seem to be much of a rhyme or reason to which ones they choose as their "special" ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! I have thought about all of the love and memories that will be tied to this sweet, orange baby boy quilt! I just love it! Such an incredible gift and I cannot wait for there to be photos of him with his quilt for you to share!! Just a few more weeks! Thank you so much for this thoughtful gift, it will surely be treasured for years to come!!

    ReplyDelete