Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A Secret Baby Quilt - 5th Edition


I can FINALLY share our fifth secret baby quilt.  This quilt was a group effort from my sewing friends, for a sewing friend.  This project took on a new challenge.... gender neutral.  This had me baffled.  I thought if we used one print in each of our blocks that it would help tie them together, and boy(or girl) was I right!


This green garden stake print was inspired by the rumor that the expecting mama was going with a veggie theme.  I bought a hunk and sent smaller bits out into the world to the block assemblers.

The hope was that everyone would use greens, yellows, oranges and reds and the blocks would have a hope of being bright and fun, and coordinates but without leaning towards 'boyish' or 'girly'.  It worked!  Here are the blocks.


This Log Cabin was assembled by Eva


This Dresden was made by Rebecca


This Star was made by Erica


I put a twist on the postage stamp center by using Lori Holt's postage stamp barn pattern.  I dig it.


Briana made this zig-zag 


Miranda made this zig-zag 


Kristen made this Dresden


Jamie made this Log Cabin block.

Erin made this Star block.

I ended up giving each block a little colorful border to build them up to match the size of the barn block.  I think it really makes the blocks more colorful.  Deciding on a border was a lengthy process.  I think I love the orange bandana print though.  

I was dreading looking for a backing, but I ended up finding an awesome zig-zag that I loved. Easy peasy!


The finished quilt is definitely colorful and bright, and yet is neutral.  I love that it worked out!


I tried a different type of label on this one.  I'm wondering how this type will wash up repeatedly and how it will wear.... time will tell.  

After making five group quilts in the last 7 months or so I was so pleased that this was the last!  We will see how long that lasts though, it seems to me a significant baby boom has hit our group... and it isn't done yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment