Thursday, June 12, 2014

That Big Picnic Quilt


Last time I blogged this beast was a while ago, right after I had the columns ready to sew.  I obviously took my time assembling those columns and sewing this quilt top.  Its BIG.  That means more ironing and lots of wrestling with the bulk.


I pieced the backing only to find it too darn short!  It wasn't cute, and I was frustrated so I put off fixing it for a few more days.  At least, I had enough fabric to fix it!


Finally my backing was ready.  Then clumsy me, I was loading my crockpot one morning and I dropped a heavy plastic cutting board on the top of my foot.  It hurt like a mofo and I cried; but then I got over it and went on with life.  Until I was getting the batting ready for basting and I realized my foot hurt too much to crawl around on the floor.  So I shelved the quilt AGAIN.  Thankfully my husband got sick of hearing me complain about waiting out my painful foot bruises and he basted for me!  Isn't that sweet?!(the bruises on my foot really were terrible)


So finally I have this beast basted.  It's in my machine!  Talk about wrestling!!  It's taking a long time because it's large, and now I'm out of Switched at Birth episodes to watch.  Plus life interrupts, like when you have to spend the afternoon in the ER with your 6 year old who's face is bloody and in need of stitches, or you have to buy food for the family, or go pond watching.  Also, I'm about six bobbins in and usually after five I loose interest and can only quilt in short spurts.  

I'm in the home stretch though..... really I am.  

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an adventure with this quilt! It's so bright and cheery though. Unlike your foot bruises. They are bright, but not cheery. Lol. Good luck getting it finished!

    ReplyDelete