Friday, September 10, 2010

Quilting 202




I will be heading east this coming Monday with the tot for a wedding. When we return on the 21st we will have a guest arrive later that night. KT is driving up from Tucson. While she is here I am going to teach her to quilt. She actually has come quilt skills already, she went through the same beginner quilt lessons I did back in high school.
That's why I'm calling her class quilting 202.
I'm going to do the normal basic accelerated quilt class I normally teach. The goal is to show each part of the process, but with me doing a big chunk of the work, so she will have a finished quilt before she gets overwhelmed or frustrated.
I have the fabrics prepped. So this is how the lessons will go...
Part 1 -square up remaining fabric, cut remaining squares.
Part 2- pinning remaining 4 patch sections together, I'll have her do 5-10 then I will finish them up.
Part 3- I'll have her chain piece the first 2 sections together, then I will show her how to press the seams.
Part 4- I'll have her pin a few of the 4 patch blocks together, then I will have her get sewing, while I pin the rest.
Part 5- sewing the blocks together, while I press and pin for her.
Part6- Piecing backing lesson
Part7- Basting lesson( but she has basted and tied a quilt before so there wont be a ton of blabbering from my mouth on the topic)
Part8- Machine quilting lesson, I'll show her once, then let her go at it.
Part 9- Binding piecing, then attaching the binding
Part 10- hand sewing the binding.
Easy right?
Day 1 will be parts 1-5
Day 2 will be parts 6 & 7
Day 3 will be part 8
Day 4 will be part 9 & 10
I actually think days 1 and 2 can be combined. So it may only be 3 days of working on this project!
So, unless I make a fabric buy in the mitten, I think I'm signing off until the 21st. See you then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment