Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Fresh Starts

You know from my posts last month that I busted my hiney to clean up some UFOs so this year could be a fresh start. 

 I spent the week or so I had after I finished my last deadline project to clean up my sewing space and purge some scraps. 
I got everything tidy.
 

 Hung up some of my mini quilts finally.  I also purchased my much needed bolt of Kona white.

 I had purchased my new bolt of batting a few months ago during a big sale but I took it out of the corner and got it ready to go.  I still have a quilt or two worth left on my last bolt.  But getting the bolt out of the box helped my sewing space seem more put together.
 I took the traditional age progression photo of the monster on the bolt. 

After everything was nice in there... I started working.  I love fresh new projects!!  

These were my I-spy squares laid out.  I pieced my top and have the backing assembled also.  I just need to baste it sometime.... like if I ever mop the kitchen floor.  
Then I began cutting the squares for this project.  I have been planning this out in my head for weeks.  I saw this block in the In Color Order HST BOM.  I singled it out as awesome and decided to make a quilt.  I chose three fabrics at a quilt shop using a color way I found on design seeds. This project is so exciting to me.  I have about a thousand HST units to be sewn... but I'm not in any hurry.  I think it will be a great easy project to work on, set aside, pull out again and again for the next couple of weeks or even months.    

This fresh project was unexpected.  I was watching the photos of the scrappytripalong and I was dying. I wanted to make one so bad!  I did not feel like cutting a crap ton of strips so I pulled out a jelly roll that had been laying around and got to work.  I know its not really 'scrappy' bit its still exciting to me anyhow.  I think it will get scrappier as I go along.  I had trouble with these fabrics a few months ago with a layer cake I was using, so I added the white on the long diagonal to break it up because I know I'll need it.  

I'm going to start a log cabin quilt along with my real life long distance quilt friends.....That will mean a fourth quilt project to juggle, but I think I can handle it.  

1 comment:

  1. question about the batting roll.
    how do you go about cutting the batting to fit your quilts. i love the idea of a huge roll, but i think it would overwhelm me, if i didn't have it set up so it would be easier.

    what is your "easier way" to do it?

    love your sewing room, and always enjoy stopping by your blog.
    xo
    eva

    ReplyDelete